Last weekend, before Thanksgiving, we put up Christmas lights on the house. Major accomplishment in our home. I was so excited that we did it so early. Later that day I went on Facebook and saw that three of my seriously organized friends had not only put up lights that day, but had finished decorating for Christmas altogether. BEFORE Thanksgiving!
What’s the rush?
Well, actually, getting this one activity done early has paved the way for me to get organized this year so that I can actually enjoy the holiday season.
Here are a few suggestions to help you avoid holiday stress:
- Plan your month out on a written calendar and set deadlines.
I know that it seems almost crazy to put deadlines on things that should be fun, but it will give you motivation to keep on track so you can actually enjoy more.Add everything that you have to do for the month:
- Family photos
- Addressing Christmas or holiday cards
- Baking (yes, put this on the calendar, especially if you like to bake a lot)
- Shopping (don’t forget deadlines to mail packages to avoid overpaying on shipping)
- Make a gift list with budget and stick to it.
This is harder than it seems, but really should be pretty easy.Â Don’t get caught up in buying more than you need or can afford.
- Don’t do more than you are capable of this month.
I like to write down what I’m doing because it helps me also keep how much I’m doing in check. Make a list of everything that you want to do and then cross a few items off the list.
- Say no.
It’s OK to turn down that party invitation that you don’t really want to go to.
Once you have your list and know what you want to do, find a system to highlight the events that are most important to you. Items that end up without stars, circles of red or other earmarks, are things that you can skip if you find yourself getting overs.
Finally, be sure to take moments for yourself and for your family. Make hard decisions to ensure you have the time to do what you really want to this year.
- Free printable Christmas calendars, gift lists, even a holiday housework checklist.
- Find some holiday shows … ABC Family has a countdown to 25 day of Christmas TV schedule.