I’m in the thick of it right now. It’s birthday cake baking time. For two years now I’ve made my son a special birthday cake instead of calling up the grocery store to place an order. That’s certainly easier and no one would care (I love our local Publix cakes), but I thought I’d do something special.
Every year I go through the same thing. “What did I get myself into?” I think. “Can I pull this off?” I wonder.
This year is no different. I have chosen a cake with fondant and have never worked with this icing.
“What am I doing?”
Here are some things to keep in mind as you decide to make or buy the birthday cake:
- It’s an investment: In order to make some of the fancy cakes you really need to invest in the proper tools. Cake decorating kits and other supplies add up. It’s an investment, but not one with a monetary ROI. Your return is the smiling faces that see and eat your cake.
- Take a class. I highly recommend you take a class at your local craft store to get started. It will help you avoid pitfalls and get you jump started.
- It takes time. Lots and lots of time. Budget your time according to how long you think it will take to bake and frost the cake. Then add 10 hours. Be sure to leave time for extra runs to either the craft store or the grocery store. (Last night I ran out of eggs.)
- Plan ahead. It’s best to plan out your cake baking and decorating days in advance. Have a list of what you will do each day before the big event.
- Have a plan B. While your intentions are great, the cake may not turn out to your desires. Don’t despair. Have a backup plan to buy a cake from the grocery store. It’s not the end of the world.
Tonight is my cake frosting night. I’m sure it will be a late one. What I’m not sure of is if I will be calling Publix in the morning or not. I’ll post a photo on Monday of the results. Wish me luck.
I made the cake. Although not what I had intended it came out fairly cute. Here’s a photo. You can read the entire story here and see the disaster photos too!
Amazing Chocolate Dessert Recipes!
Subscribe and download your FREE chocolate dessert recipes ebook!