This site contains affiliate links. Please see Disclosure Policies for more information.
On Monday I posted about getting ready for Christmas — and it seems too early, yet it really is that time of year already. And, it’s time again to pack some shoeboxes for kids who may not get presents for Christmas. Even Si from Duck Dynasty is getting into the act this year.
My family always packs a box, or two, or three. We pack one box each for a child the same age as each of our kids, and then pack a few more if we have more items that can fill some boxes. Here are some ideas to put in the boxes:
- Books — I love sending books to children. Comic books are good too because they can bend easily to sit on the bottom of the box.
- Stuffed animal — The dollar store is a great place to shop for small stuffed animals. What kid couldn’t use a new, soft and cuddly stuffed animal?
- Candy — hard candies and lollipops that won’t melt. Stay away from chocolates and other candies that won’t make the journey.
- Toys — lots and lots of little toys. Jump ropes, squishy balls, baseball, football, cards, or little games.
- Pencils, pens, crayons, markers — I always put in a box of new crayons or markers because I love opening a new box for the first time. Add a pad of drawing paper too.
- Toiletries — I always put in a new toothbrush and toothpaste. Sometimes I’ll add a nice bar of soap too.
So many things can fit into a shoebox. For the last few years, I’ve volunteered at a collection center where we collected boxes from the community and other drop off locations, so I got to see a lot of different things fit into the shoeboxes. Some people put in shoes, t-shirts, hair bows, combs. There is a short list of no-nos however: toy weapons, liquids, the already mentioned bad-boy chocolate, and things that are breakable.
National collection week is November 18-25 so there’s plenty of time to pack a box (or two, or three!)
Find a drop off location near you
Operation Christmas Child (aka Samaritan’s Purse) did not pay or solicit me for this post. I believe in this organization and want to help children around the world celebrate Christmas.
12 Days of Cookies!
Get 12 AMAZING Christmas cookie recipes in your email!