This Instant Pot chicken noodle soup is the best chicken noodle soup I’ve ever made. Seriously, it really is that good. What makes it even better is that it’s made in the Instant Pot which means it cooks in no time! It’s packed with big chunks of moist chicken, veggies, egg noodles, and a rich and robust broth.
If you’re a busy mom like me, this chicken noodle soup is the ultimate lifesaver, and our version takes the crown. Imagine getting the most delicious soup without spending hours in the kitchen. We’re talking about a recipe that understands the need for speed.
Don’t worry about defrosting chicken, because frozen chicken breasts are can be used in this recipe which saves tons of time and you don’t have to remember to take the chicken out of the freezer. It’s the ultimate hack for any busy mom looking to create a satisfying meal in a flash.
By using the Instant Pot, you can say goodbye to multiple pots and pans, which makes clean up a breeze. This recipe is not just a time-saver; it tastes delicious. Imagine savoring every spoonful of the most incredible flavors, all achieved in a fraction of the time.
Whether it’s a surprise visit from guests or a busy weeknight dinner, this chicken noodle soup has your back. It’s our fail-safe, go-to recipe for any occasion. Plus, it serves a crowd, so you can effortlessly impress your guests without a lot of effort. Trust us, this soup will have everyone convinced you’ve slaved away for hours when in reality, it’s your delicious little secret.
Table of Contents
You will love this Instant Pot Chicken Soup
I’ve been sick for over two days and craving some home made chicken noodle soup. Yesterday I drug myself to take my daughter to Barnes and Noble so she could use a gift card she got from her grandmother. Even though I was sick, I couldn’t resist helping her buy a book.
Across the street from the book store is a Whole Foods grocery so I had a great idea to buy some chicken noodle soup for dinner from its food bar. We got there and the soups of the day just didn’t appeal to me so we walked out with frozen pot stickers, an extra large chocolate cupcake with three buttercream flowers on top, and 2 overpriced salted caramel macarons.
Needless to say when the next day rolled around I still had a hankering for some chicken noodle soup, I wasn’t surprised: Instant Pot to the rescue. I haven’t made much in my Instant Pot yet, but thought it should be able to make a great batch of Instant Pot chicken noodle soup. And, I knew it could cook frozen chicken in minutes.
It didn’t disappoint.
I was able to make an amazing pot of Instant Pot chicken noodle soup with frozen chicken for lunch.
Normally, I’d do all of this on the stovetop, or in a crockpot, but I cooked EVERYTHING in the Instant Pot. Pressure cookers are the way to go when you want a meal on the table fast!
At one point I was about to get out a saute pan to cook the vegetables and then I remembered the Instant Pot has a saute setting. WIN!
- chicken breasts (can be frozen)
- fresh ginger (this gives it an amazing flavor!)
- bay leaf
- Italian seasonings
- salt & pepper
- chicken broth
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- For this chicken soup recipe, I cooked four frozen chicken breasts with one cup of water for 10 minutes on manual. (NOTE: Depending on the size/thickness of your chicken, you may need to cook them longer. I used fairly thin breasts for this recipe.)
2. Then I let the steam vent and removed the chicken and drained the water.
3. I chopped the chicken up and set it aside.
4. Then I put in butter on the saute setting and added the veggies and sauteed them for 5 minutes.
5. Next, I put in the chicken, and then add eight cups of pre-made chicken broth.
6. Finished with seasonings and noodles.
7. Then I put the top on and set the Instant Pot to the soup setting, reducing the time to 4 minutes. (Note: it takes several minutes before the Instant Pot starts calculating the four cooking minutes.)
8. Once the time was up, I released the steam with the quick release valve and lunch was done.
Instant Pot Chicken and Noodles variations
Vegetable Additions – Customize your soup by adding vegetables such as carrots, celery, or mushrooms.
Herbs and Spices – Experiment with various herbs like thyme, parsley, or rosemary to enhance the flavor profile.
Broth Choices – Substitute the chicken broth with vegetable broth or any other preferred broth for a different taste.
How to serve Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Garnish – Sprinkle some fresh parsley for pop of color and added freshness.
Bread – Serve with crusty bread or crackers for a fulfilling meal.
Side Salad – Accompany the soup with a side salad to create a wholesome and balanced meal.
How to store Instant Pot Chicken and Noodles
Refrigerator – Allow the soup to cool down, then transfer it into an airtight container or individual portions in containers suitable for meal prep. Consume within 3-4 days.
Freezing – Store in freezer-safe containers or bags, leaving some space for expansion for up to 2-3 months for the best quality.
This chicken noodle soup was so flavorful. It was the perfect pick me up that I’d been looking for.
This chicken soup recipe make a whole pot of soup. It feeds our family of four an entire meal, and leaves plenty of leftovers for another day. It freezes well so I usually put leftover soup in a container in the freezer to have another day.
I’m certainly going to make it again. Instant Pot chicken noodle soup is a new family favorite.
Chicken Soup Instant Pot FAQs
Can You Cook Frozen Chicken in the Instant Pot?
This is definitely a yes! I use frozen chicken breasts for this ip chicken recipe! There are plenty of times that I have no idea what’s for dinner and didn’t think to take chicken out of the freezer to thaw for dinner. Instant Pot to the rescue. The Instant Pot cooks frozen chicken in minutes.
Why is my Instant Pot chicken so tough?
Overcooking can result in tough chicken.
Can you overcook chicken in the Instant Pot?
Yes, it’s possible to overcook chicken in the Instant Pot, leading to a dry and tough texture. Be sure to check the thickness of the chicken you are using. If it’s a tenderloin or small breast you’ll want to reduce the cooking time so they don’t overcook.
Do you need to brown chicken before pressure cooking?
Browning the chicken in a skillet before pressure cooking can enhance the flavor by adding a layer of caramelization. However, it’s not necessary, especially if you’re aiming for a quicker preparation.
How long to cook frozen chicken in Instant Pot?
Instant Pot Chicken and Noodles Soup
- 4 large chicken breasts frozen, skinless
- 3 carrots full size, chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 slices fresh ginger
- 8 oz. wide noodles
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cups chicken broth 2-32. oz. containers
Cook Frozen Chicken
- Place frozen chicken breasts in Instant Pot, adding one cup water
- Put on Instant Pot lid and close vent
- Set Instant Pot to manual and set the time to 10 minutes
- Once the Instant Pot is up to pressure it will start the 10 minute timer
- Once the timer is up, do a quick release and remove the chicken. (Be careful to avoid the steam from the Instant Pot vent)
- With kitchen gloves, take out the Instant Pot insert (pan/bowl) and drain water
- Rinse Instant Pot pan and place back inside Instant Pot
Make Chicken Noodle Soup
- Add 3 tablespoons butter and press saute on Instant Pot
- Once butter is melted, add carrots, celery, and onion. Saute until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes
- While vegetables are sautéing, shred or chop chicken
- Add cooked chicken, chicken broth, garlic, sliced ginger, and bay leaf
- Add salt, pepper, and Italian seasonings
- Add noodles
- Close Instant Pot lid and close vent
- Set Instant Pot to Soup and reduce the time to 4 minutes
- Once the Instant Pot is up to pressure it will start the 4 minute timer
- When timer is done, press the quick release valve (being careful to stay out of the way of the steam)Serve soup warm
What’s For Dinner?
Find a recipe for dinner tonight! Get our Top 10 Most Popular recipes ebook sent right to your email.