This site contains affiliate links. Please see Disclosure Policies for more information.
Bath bombs make bath time fun for kids (and adults). Last year I bought pre-made, individual bath bombs for over $4 EACH! The kids loved watching them fizz away in the tub, but that was an expensive bath! And I love the scent that lingers in the bathroom, but I didn’t like the price so I learned how to make DIY bath bombs!
DIY Bath Bombs
What is a Bath Bomb?
So, what is a bath bomb, you might be asking? It’s a small (or sometimes large) ball that fizzes and dissolves slowly in the bathtub. Bath bombs slowly release the scents and colors contained within them, making bathtime fun.
The ingredient list is pretty straightforward and has some items you already have in the house so making homemade bath bombs couldn’t be easier.
You can use a regular muffin tin, or one of the easy to use silicon mini muffin pans that make it easy to get the bath bombs out.
Here are the ingredients needed to make DIY bath bombs:
- Essential oil: Aura Cacia 100% Pure Essential Oils – Lemon – 0.5 oz
- Colorants: Life of the Party Liquid Soap Colors, 0.75-Ounce, Red/Yellow/Blue, 3-Pack
- Emoji decorations: Wilton 710-7245 Emoji Icing Decorations
- Silicon mini muffin pan: Wilton 2105-4829 Easy Flex Silicone 12-Cup Mini Muffin
- You’ll also need: coconut oil, cornstarch, and baking soda.
You just have to mix the baking soda, citric acid, and corn starch until it resembles wet sand. Add the colorant and essential oil, then mix until combined.
Press the mixture into each patrician of the mini-muffin tin so that the ingredients touch the top of the pan.
Put into a preheated oven, then turn the oven off and let sit for one hour. Your bath bombs are in the making!
Remove from the oven and immediately place one emoji decoration on top of each bath bomb. Press until the emoji decoration is flush with the top of the bath bomb.
Let stand in the muffin tin for an additional 8-12 hours. Easy to do overnight!
Remove from the muffin tins and store in an airtight container.
Bath Bombs Recipe
- 12- count mini muffin pan or silicone mold Amazon link below
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1 cup citric acid
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 10-12 drops lemon essential oil
- 3-4 drops yellow soap colorant
- 12- count Emoji icing decorations
- Preheat oven to 140°
- In a large metal or glass mixing bowl, add baking soda, citric acid, and corn starch. Stir to combine.
- Add coconut oil, lemon essential oil, and yellow soap colorant. Stir until ingredients are incorporated and the consistency resembles wet sand.
- Transfer mixture into muffin tin or silicone molds, filling each mold to the top
- Place the silicone mold on a baking sheet and put in preheated oven. Turn oven off and leave door closed for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and immediately press the emoji icing decorations into each individual bath bomb.
- Do not remove bath bombs. Air dry bath bombs in mold for 8-12 hours.
- Carefully remove the bath bombs out of their molds and store in a mason jar or other airtight glass container.
12 Days of Cookies!
Get 12 AMAZING Christmas cookie recipes in your email!