Lately it seems every street corner has someone holding a sign. You know what I’m talking about. People are paid to hold signs for stores that want more notice.
- There’s the guy dressed in a gold lame suit, with a sparkly gold hat and gold shoes, holding a sign that says (guess what?) “gold.” He’s waving that sign and pushing the gold.
- There’s the guy in the bright yellow banana suit promoting the local smoothie shop. Jumping, dancing and moving to his music.
- The pet store has someone wearing a brow, furry dog costume, promoting “Nut N But Puppies.” The dog dances around and waves. I usually honk the horn in support.
- The apartment complex sign holder is spinning that sign like Tom Cruise tossed liquour bottles around in the movie, “Cocktail.”
- Then, there’s the sub guy. The one who you can tell doesn’t want to be there. Sure, it’s hot as Hell out there, but he’s got his ear buds in and he’s just standing on the roadside holding that pathetic sign. Really makes me want to go run in a get a sub from the place where the owner makes his employees begrudgingly hold signs.
If you have a job make the most of it.
I was watching “Parking Wars” the other night. It shows how people get parking tickets in big cities and what happens when they have to go pay for the ticket. Pretty interesting voyeurism here. In an episode the other night, there was this woman, the meter reader, who was giving people tickets left and right — it was her job. Every time she saw a violation she had to plant a ticket on the windshield of that car. Man, did she make some people mad. They yell at her, point fingers and say it’s “blood on her hands.”
She explained that it’s her job. And, what a bad job it is, she continues. It provides insurance and food for my kids. Yeah, really bad job, she says.
We all need to make the most of our jobs. You may not be happy with your job today or even this month, but what is it providing for you? If you really don’t like it, get a new job. If you say, just consider this:
Do you want to be seen as the guy in the banana suit or the one holding the sub sign?